GatedContent.com forms can send submissions to Pardot form via HTTPS POST to capture user data within your Pardot instance. In addition, GatedContent.com can utilise the Pardot API to retrieve contact information for form pre-population.
Form submission capture
A Pardot form handler must be created to capture the data from GatedContent.com form submissions. Normally only a single Pardot form handler will be required that should contain all possible fields from all GatedContent.com form types, including hidden fields. If you plan to use multiple form handlers to collect GatedContent.com form submissions, you can use the URL override functionality within the form type editor to control which Pardot form each GatedContent.com form type will send submissions to. Note that GatedContent.com gates can only submit to one Pardot form at a time.
Please ensure that validation is disabled on all fields on the Pardot form. Validation rules can cause form submissions to fail silently in the background, resulting in data loss.
In addition, ensure that all your GatedContent.com field names match the HTML name of the receiving fields on your Pardot forms.
Once you have created your form, supply the following details to your account manager so it can be added to your GatedContent.com account:
- Form submission URL
Contact data can be retrieved from your Pardot account via the Pardot API. This is used to pre-populate GatedContent.com form and save users time. In order for this to work, you will need to create a Connected App within your Salesforce account. Follow these steps:
- From Salesforce Setup, in the Quick Find box, enter App Manager, and then select App Manager.
- Click New Connected App.
- Name the connected app "GatedContent.com", and enter contact details for the app owner as "firstname.lastname@example.org".
- In the API section, select the Enable OAuth Flows.
- A callback URL is not required for the GatedContent.com integration to work since it does not use the browser-based OAuth flow. If you have to enter a URL in order to proceed, use "https://app.gatedcontent.com".
- Retrieve the client key and client secret for the connected app.
Next, retrieve the Pardot Business Unit ID for your Pardot account. Follow these steps:
- From Marketing Setup, in the Quick Find box, enter Pardot, and then select Pardot Account Setup.
- Copy the business unit ID for the Pardot instance you want to use.
Finally, you will need to create a dedicated user that will be utilised by GatedCcontent.com to access the SFDC/Pardot API. Ensure that the user is SSO enabled and has access to Pardot. You will need to retrieve the security token for this user. To do this follow the below steps:
- Login into Salesforce as the target user.
- Browse to Profile / My personal information / Reset my security token. Reset the security token and capture this from the email that Salesforce will send to the user's email address.
Once you have completed all of these steps, supply the following information back to your GatedContent.com account manager:
- Pardot account ID
- Pardot business unit ID
- Connected app client key
- Connected app client secret
- SFDC account username
- SFDC account password
- SFDC account security key
Once all of these details have been entered into your GatedContent.com account, you will be able to specify which Pardot contact fields should pre-populate which GatedContent.com form fields from the field editor within GatedContent.com. Pre-population will then begin working for known visitors.
Please note that for pre-population to work, you must include the Pardot tracking script on any webpage where GatedContent.com gates are located.